The time has come !
My era of rainbow braids has come to a close. Lol.
About a week ago I took out my braids .. because well graduation is around the corner and rainbow colored hair at graduation isn’t the most presentable thing.
Here’s my last few days with my braids. 😦
This was the day that I took them out.
Lol: I had on a face mask , don’t mind me.
With all of that being said I had so many inquires about how I did my hair, the colors I used, styles, process etc. However, the most common questions were in regards to how I got the colors .. especially from the people that saw my previous blue braids.
So I decided to show you guys.
D.I.Y Colored Braids
My mother wanted to try something new for her birthday, so I decided to use this opportunity to show you guys how to achieve your own colored braids. So, for those of you that would like to color your braids; whether it be because you haven’t found the color you are looking for, the pigment of the color you are looking for, or because you want to get really creative this is for you.
Here’s what you’ll need:
1) 100 % Kanekaleon Braiding Hair or Marley Hair (I would say to use the color 613 because the color will come out more pigmented, although I have seen people use black hair)
2) Semi-permanent hair rinse in the color you desire – I use the brand ADORE .. although I have heard good reviews about Manic Panic
3) 1 to 4 bottles of alcohol – depending on how much hair you plan to dye.
4) A bowl – preferably one that you don’t use often
A Spray Bottle6) Gloves
7) A glass of wine (if you’re feeling fancy)
1) Put the rinse(s) you want to use in a bowl with alcohol. If you have multiple colors that you want to use, you will need more than one bowl. You will need at least a half bottle of alcohol. Put as much rinse as you find according into the bowl but keep in mind that the color will eventually come out lighter than the mixture (so if you are looking for a darker color .. put more rinse and less alcohol). Mixed that concoction around and then let it sit for at least 10 minutes.
2) While the mixture is setting, take the hair out of the packaging and separate it according to how you want to dye your hair.
3) Put that mixture into a spray bottle and begin to spray the color onto whatever part of the hair that you like.
Unfortunately for me, my spray bottle sucked .. so I ended up pouring my mixture back into my bowl and dipping the hair in that way. You could decide to do it this way but keep in mind that this way is a bit messier, and you won’t be able to maneuver the color as well as you would if the mixture was in the spray bottle.
My mother wanted 3 types of color combos as you will see below.
4) Be happy because that’s it. Now it’s time to let it dry.
The downside to this is that is takes a while to dry. So please don’t try to do this the day before you plan to get your hair done. Give it at least 2 days.
My mother only put the color in the back portion of her head, but here is the final result:
If you’re looking for a way to be more creative and try something different for the summer, I definitely suggest giving this a try. It’s fun, easy and trust me you’ll get a lot of compliments. Hope you enjoyed this D.I.Y
Start A Discussion – Leave a Reply/Share Your Thoughts