I feel kind of cool when people ask me how I take care of my hair. They want to know how I maintain the fullness while still keeping my curls in tack. So I decided to write a post for my natural babies ❤ I’m going to list the products that I swear by and hopefully that helps some of you guys out.
SideBar| There are other products that I use as well .. but I guess you can just call these my favs lol.
First and foremost, months before I decided to be natural I researched all I needed to know about excellent natural hair products. For me .. I swear by anything that HeyFranHey says. She honestly has been a huge inspiration on how to live my life (and take care of myself) in an all natural way (for more than just hair care too, you guys should check her out). She is one of the few that helped me realize that too many of the hair (and body) products we use contain terrible ingredients that are detrimental to our health. So with that being said (with the exception of my hairdye lol) I use all natural products in my hair.
So Here We Go ! ( In no particular order)
1. Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque The title is pretty self explanatory. I use this as a deep treatment. I usually get a foil cap from the beauty supply store (or use a plastic bag) to cover my hair and leave this in my hair for about 20-30 minutes after I have finished washing. It leaves your hair feeling so amazing and I feel like it really does the job!
2. Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Extra Moisture Detangler. Now this product is not extremely necessary. However, I loveeeee this product. I use it after I condition especially if I plan to leave my hair out and don’t want my curls to get tangled and unruly throughout the day. My curls look so defined and radiant after using this product.
3. Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner. I don’t use this conditioner as much anymore. But, if you are a newbie natural (especially if you are transitioning) this was my holy grail #1 product for a very long time. Your curls look extremely full and luscious and your hair just feels amazeeeeee. Lol
4. Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Reconstructive Finishing Elixir. This product isn’t necessary but it does help to control the frizz and leaves your hair with an extra shine. This is the last product I use when leaving my hair out (after a wash and go) or when I am taking out my twist or braid out.
5. Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Retention Shampoo. Now I don’t always shampoo my hair. I try to do it every other week because shampoo tends to strip your hair of way too much moisture (especially when used frequently). But when I do, this is one of the VERY few shampoos that I use. Other than that I cowash. However, being that this shampoo is all natural it still leaves your hair feeling extremely soft as opposed to other harsh shampoos that contain parabens and sulfates.
P.S if you see either of those on any products you are using … RUNNNN lol … No seriously!
6. Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen, Grow & Restore Treatment Masque. Ohhhh I love this stuff. It has literally become one of my new favs. This deep treatment leaves your hair feeling so fresh and soft. I use this the same as my other deep treatments .. (covering my head with a foil cap and leaving it for 20 to 30 minutes).
7. Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen, Grow & Restore Shampoo. Being that this line also infuses peppermint into their treatment the effect is the same as the treatment masque (pictured above). Your hair and scalp just feels so refreshing after using this shampoo. Usually what I do with this shampoo is (after I massage my scalp) I let it sit in my hair for about 5 minutes just so all those healing and hydrating properties are really infused into my scalp. Also (SUPER PLUS) this bottle of shampoo is 16oz for around 10-12 dollars as opposed to other shea moisture shampoos which (I think) are only 8oz for the same price !
8. Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Shampoo and Conditioner – and Curl and Style Mix. Now this is a 3 in 1 deal. But I thought why not picture these together .. well, because together they are amazing .. and let’s face it … I’m killing 3 birds with one stone lol! Of all the Shea Moisture lines … this one is absolutely my favorite. When using this my hair feels so smooth and soft and free and light and great lol. My curl pattern is outrageouslyyy gorg. There is little to no frizz and it smells incredible!
**SideBar| Another thing that I like about Shea Moisture is that they let you know how exactly their product is to be used. (Of course you don’t have to use it that exact way .. but it is helpful especially if you are a natural newbie.) Oh and if you wait for the sale at Walgreens you can buy one and get one half off .. lol you’re welcome**
9. Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie. This is my one of go too product for my wash and go styles. I love the way it makes my hair feel and like I just stated this line is my absolute fav from Shea Moistures Collection
10. Jamaican Black Castor Oil. This stuff here doesn’t smell the best but it is instrumental in hair growth. It is also the way that I seal my ends for protective styling. Jamaican Black Castor Oil has so many nutritious properties that you really can’t go wrong with including it in your hair regimen. Also .. a little goes a very long way.
11. Spectrum Unrefined Coconut Oil. I use this for added moisture and shine. Just like JBCastor Oil there are so many healthy aspects to Coconut Oil so adding this to your hair is vital. Especially if your looking to gain fullness. Just be sure that you are getting all natural cold pressed unrefined oils. This means that it has not been processed and the vital ingredients are still there.
12. As I Am Curling Jelly. Now this hasn’t been in my regimen for long. But I have noticed a huge change in my curl pattern after using this product. My curls are definitely more defined but it doesn’t leave my hair feeling stiff (as some other ‘gels’ do) which is a super plus. The only downside is that this product is a bit pricey in comparison to the others.
13. 18-In-1 Peppermint Pure Castile Soap. This is one of my favorites because there is so much that can be done with this awesome soap. Obviously one of the many things is using it in your hair and because of the peppermint it leaves your hair and scalp feeling incredddddd!
14. Tea Tree Oil. What is pictured isn’t the brand I use (I ran out and I couldn’t find the one I use on google) but as long as it is 100% natural then you’re good. This is the product that I use to massage my scalp. As with the other natural oils, Tea Tree Oil has many benefits. Massaging your scalp daily (for at least 10 minutes) helps to promote hair growth so it’s something that you want to infuse into your hair regimen .. especially if you desire thickness.
I hope that this list helps someone. #Naturalista Lol
Superrrr late edit! – My hair texture is a mix of 3c/4a
Heres a picture to help you out …