For the new year, I decided that I wanted to redecorate my room. Specifically, I wanted to turn my desk of junk (sorry, I forgot a before picture) into a more organized area filled with my jewelry and other knick knacks found around my room. I had already purchased a nail polish holder and ring holder from Amazon and a storage box from Walmart .. but I really couldn’t find anything to hold my Jewelry in.
I looked through Amazon, Walmart and Bed Bath and Beyond (places that are usually key in finding things like this) but I couldn’t find one that caught my eye .. or if it did, it was way out of my price range. I mean, it’s just a little thing to hold my bracelets and earrings so I really didn’t feel comfortable spending more than 20 bucks on it.
Anyways, after a few tries I got super annoyed and started looking for things around the house that I could use to make my own jewelry dish instead of spending! With that being said this is my first DIY for 2016 and I hope you guys like it (It’s super cheap too!)
What You’ll Need
- A pencil case (If you don’t have an old one .. you can find one at a 99 cent store. Don’t worry about getting something super sturdy or expensive, you’re going to cut it anyways!)
- Acrylic Paint or Spray Paint
- Cleaning Agent (Alcohol, Sanitary Wipes Etc.)
- Hot glue gun and/or adhesive (Optional)
- Clear a working space. I just use an old blanket.
- After gathering all your items, cut your pencil case in half. Make sure to cut off all the excess pieces as well. Then be sure to clean the pencil case. Mine is literally years old so that Sani-Cloth (pictured below) came in HANDY!
- Wait until the pencil case is dry and then get to work. I chose to use Spray Paint because I’m lazy and it was just easier for me. Also it’s less time consuming .. which is lazy x2 lol. However, if you’re looking to really design your work of art and go all out then you might want to try out Acrylic Paint.
If you don’t have access to Acrylic Paint, you can go to your local Arts&Crafts store (Michaels, Sallys Etc) and pick some up; they’re about $1.00/2.00 for each. Spray Paint is a bit more expensive (I had some already), I pick mine up from Home Depot for about 4 dollars a can.
You want to make sure that you do two/three even coats and let it dry at least 20 minutes before each coat. This is going to make the color come out more vibrant and evenly.
- (Optional Step) If you have a ring holder (like the one pictured below) you can hot glue it to one of your jewelry dishes for an extra design. Being that I’m more of a minimalist, I opted to do that rather than add extra designs to the exterior of my jewelry dish.
- (Optional Step) If you’re willing to take the extra step and have adhesive or a glue gun .. feel free to add gems, ribbons or any other decorative design. Make this piece your own & have fun!
I still have a lot more to do in redecorating my room but I’m glad I finally took this first step! Here’s a look at the completed space, hope you guys like it! Btw, I know I need to get up on my nail polish collection lol .. I’m working on it!