- it’s needed
- it’s important
- it’s essential to growth
- it comes in different forms
- it is different for each of us -as long as it’s positive
- music makes me happy
- especially bob marley and lauryn hill
- journaling also makes me very happy
- and so does sipping wine
- self affirmations help increase your self esteem
- self care is how you begin to fall in love with yourself
- it is how you begin to build positive and uplifting relationships
- self care is knowing that you are worthy of more than just the bare minimum and expecting nothing less than the best
- self care is honesty to self
- it’s putting your happiness first and foremost
- but not forgetting about the people that you love
- its spending quality time with yourself and not feeling lonely
- self care is helping yourself
- self care is waking up every morning and deciding that you have a purpose
- self care = self love
Keep reading to be inspired by the writer who helped shape my spiritual journey.
One of the most inspirational books that I’ve read thus far has been ‘The Alchemist’ by Paulo Coelho. I personally feel that it takes a unique kind of person to read AND understand what this book means. It’ll only resonate with you if you are on some type of spiritual journey. So it only made sense that this book landed on my lap right before my 23rd birthday. As I read this book, I remember feeling .. indescribable, awakened, free, positive … like I could conquer the world.
This book inspired me to be my best self and gave me proof that my spiritual journey was just beginning and would be filled with much enlightenment and understanding. However, it also inspired me to look up the artist of this classic piece of work -Paulo Coelho. I was so intrigued by the story itself, that it made me wonder about him and how he came about writing such a pivotal story.
So I took to google … because I’m a google nerd and I can’t help it, lol. And while I found some incredible facts about Mr. Coelho, the most interesting things that I found were some of his quotes. Quotes from The Alchemist and quotes from his other books (which I am definitely in the process of getting). I decided to share these quotes with you because reading them reignited the feeling of hopefulness and prosperity and light that I felt while reading The Alchemist. So I hope you all appreciate these quotes as much as I did.
- When we strive to be better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.
2. Life has a way of testing a person’s will, either by having nothing happen at all or by having everything happen at once.
3. The act of discovering who we are, will force us to accept that we can go further than we think.
4. The secret of life, though, is to fall seven times and to get up eight.
5. There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of
6. One day you will wake up and there won’t be any more time to do the things you’ve always wanted. Do it now.
7. Everything tells me that I am about to make a wrong decision, but making mistakes is just part of life. What does the world want of me? Does it want me to take no risks, to go back to where I came from because I didn’t have the courage to say “yes” to life?
8. Remember that wherever your heart is, there you will find your treasure.
9. When I had nothing to lose, I had everything. When I stopped being who I am, I found myself.
10. Nothing in the world is ever completely wrong. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
11. When you find your path, you must not be afraid. You need to have sufficient courage to make mistakes. Disappointment, defeat, and despair are the tools God uses to show us the way.
12. Our true friends are those who are with us when the good things happen. They cheer us on and are pleased by our triumphs. False friends only appear at difficult times, with their sad, supportive faces, when, in fact, our suffering is serving to console them for their miserable lives.
13. Don’t give in to your fears. If you do, you won’t be able to talk to your heart.
14. This is what we call love. When you are loved, you can do anything in creation. When you are loved, there’s no need at all to understand what’s happening, because everything happens within you.
15. When each day is the same as the next, it’s because people fail to recognize the good things that happen in their lives every day that the sun rises.
16. There are moments when troubles enter our lives and we can do nothing to avoid them. But they are there for a reason. Only when we have overcome them will we understand why they were there.
17. Your eyes show the strength of your soul.
18. The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter.
19. Now that she had nothing to lose, she was free.
20. To realize one’s destiny is a persons only obligation.
I’m always looking for new ways to self help, love and meditate. I think that it’s super important to take time for yourself (at least) once a week to really just be and indulge in all things therapeutic for you.
I’ve always loved to write and document my feelings .. so when I started to come across books dedicated to just that, I thought that it would be interesting to try. Needless to say, journaling is now one of my favorite therapeutic methods and definitely helps to keep me sane and grounded during the week. It has also opened me up to expressing my feelings without feeling inferior or obscure.
Below, I listed the journaling books that are helping me right now! So I hope that you guys enjoy and decide to try one (or all!) of these books for yourself.
52 Lists Project
by Moorea Seal
This book is all about list making (which is one of my favorite things to do)! It’s all about listing the positive aspects in your life. Some of my favorite lists include “List all the people who brighten your day”, “List your dreams” and “List your favorite quotes”. After each list is made, there is a section called ‘Take Action’ which
inspires/challenges us to take positive actions based on the list that we have constructed. For example – After you have listed all the people who brighten your day, you are challenged to write a sweet note or do something thoughtful for at least one of the people on your list.
The book offers 52 lists .. one for each week of the year. The best part? You get to reflect any time you want. It definitely promotes self love and awareness .. and makes me feel lighter somehow -I guess it’s the recognition that I have many positive things in my life even when I don’t feel like it.
Because this book has become so successful, the author has now released ’52 Lists For Happiness’ which I plan on snagging once I’ve completed this book.
#ANote2Self Meditation Journal
by Alex Elle
If you haven’t heard of Alex Elle, let me be the first to tell you that you have been sitting under a rock, lol. She is a poet/writer but most importantly she is an advocate for self care/self love and that is probably why she is definitely my top 3 favorite people right now. Not only are her poetry books filled with self affirmations and signs of remarkable growth but she released a book dedicated to her readers journaling their own growth. Each page is structurally laid out, with the first question being different each day. Some questions that are asked are “How have you healed?”, “How do you process negative emotions”and “What is something that you need to relinquish to attain happiness?”. ALL of the questions are strategically placed and invoke thought. Along with those questions, the writer (me and you, lol) is asked to write down their intentions for the day, some things that they need to work on and what they’re thankful for (amongst other things). This book is so important for journaling your growth. I’m not even half way done and I find myself looking back at the first few pages whilst I marvel at how I’ve grown in my journey thus far. This book is a must have.
How To be A Wildflower
by Katie Daisy
For all my free spirits and flower children, this is for you! Art is so
important to me and so is expression of self and feeling free.
That is why I love this book. This book uses art and the love of finding freedom to promote self love/self care. It also puts this in a more fun, interactive and unconventional way. It features things from ‘5 Hot Springs You Need to Visit’, ‘Take a Full Moon Hike and Let The Moon Light Your Path’, writing activities, drawing activities to even making your own flower crown. Oh, and it shows you how to purify your water. Flower children, rejoice! This book is perfect.
I’m frequently asked about some of my self love/self care methods. Today was the perfect day to indulge in just that. Taking advantage of Brooklyn’s snow day, I decided to cuddle up and tell you guys just how I catered to myself today.
Happy February beautiful souls! I’m a few (well, more than a few) days late for the start of the new month but that’s okay -better late than never, right?
Here in New York, we’re having a pretty intense snow day. Schools are cancelled, work (for some) is too and everyone is pretty much cuddled up, watching Netflix, eating ice cream and drinking wine.
If you’re like me and have approximately 0 baes then this day can/might be a drag for you. I allllllmost found myself feeling kind of down about that. Then (as always), I snapped out of it and decided to use this day as a day of self-care and self love. So I thought it would be pretty cool to give you guys a little insight on how my day has panned out thus far.
My day started pretty early (around 8:30 am). As per usual, I woke up and checked social media (a bad habit, that must be stopped in 2017). Then I did a quick 15 minute yoga session before heading to the supermarket (with my mommy) to gather some things for my day/night in.
On the way to the supermarket, I decided that I would do a little home cooking -since I haven’t reallllllyyyy chef’ed it up in a while. (Btw, I love Bitmojis)
After searching through a few recipes, I decided on a Vegan Alfredo Pasta and Salmon with a caramelized sauce. I threwwww down, okay!
Follow me on SNAPCHAT – YouScreamSky
After relaxing and enjoying my meal (and netflix) … I took a nap. Lol. Butttttt, when I woke up, I hopped in the shower, washed my hair .. got real sneaky clean. I lathered myself in some soft body butter (shameless plug coming up .. now – which is available at SKYBRITNEI) and I turned on some good music, lit some candles and meditated whilst repeating positive self affirmations.
Whenever I’m taking the time to just BE, my music choice is always Bob Marley, Lauryn Hill and India Arie (among a few other artists). As for the candles, I have really been into soy candles lately and I have been loving the scent of Lavender & Vanilla (mixed). These two combined, made it extremely easy for me to relax and enjoy the tranquility and stillness of my afternoon.
Winding down, I indulged in a bit of journaling via my #ANote2Self Meditation Journal by Alex Elle. I also read a few pages of my WordsOF Gratitude book. These are just some things that help me center myself and gain some peace of mind.
After centering my thoughts and emotions .. here comes a little bit of the ratchet. I heard via Twitter that VH1 was replaying old episodes of Flavor of Love! And I had to indulge for a little while -I couldn’t help it lol.
Sidenote| Can we discuss WHY Trey Songz is doing a dating show? Why? Why? & Why? Lol.
Anyways – then, I thought to myself ‘people are always inquiring about my self love methods’ and without me realizing today was all about self love and being okay with solitude soooo, I decided to write this for you guys. A nice drink sitting next to me and Bob playing in the background .. now is where I’ll sign off to enjoy the rest of my night.
Keep in mind that self love is more than just what I do. It is different for each person. The only thing that should be transitional in self love is that it IS INDEED self love and is built on positivity.
Be well guys and always practice self love -everyday!
Btw – as I was fixing up my site, I realized that I have over 2,000 followers. I don’t know when that happened but I am extremely grateful to all of you. I appreciate it more than you know! Besitosss mis amores!
Mental health is such an important part of getting your life together and that’s exactly what I’ve been doing -checking in with myself and my mental health.
I don’t know where to start but the past couple of weeks were about me taking the initial steps to re-finding myself and my sanity.
You see, people always think they know you. They see smiles and laughs and upbeat/inspirational social media posts and without inquiring what you’re going through or seeing how you’re doing, they make comments and assumptions that have no standing ground.
With that being said, I laughed, smiled and inspired my way through a huge part of 2016. I was blessed to be surrounded by love and happiness. My spiritual journey hit new and beautiful heights. I TRAVELED! But man the last few weeks of the year (internally – although I had many good days surrounded by loved ones), I was facing some personal battles. And those battles left me feeling like my mental health was in jeopardy. So much so, that I dropped everything and took a short trip to Jamaica with my god sister during the first week on 2017.
So as you can see I’ve been taking some time to get my mind right. Lots of yoga, lots of meditation, lots of time to myself. Reflection. Realignment. Revamp. Redo. Reposition. Lol, the works!
Although I’m all for taking time out to regroup, reconnect with oneself etc .. I’m also ready to get back to the things I love. I’m ready to get back to branding myself, writing, blogging and being a free spirit. A fresh new start .. doing the things I love. I’m ready to reclaim my positive nature. I’m ready to unburden myself of these battles and get my mental health on good standing ground.
So, while my posting may not be as frequent as it was in the past .. I do ask my lovely followers to bare with me on my journey as I realign myself and slowly but surely fall back into place.
To end of this coming of age blog post (lol) I want to invite my readers to check out my brand new website.
SkyBritnei.com is something that I have been working on during my hiatus. It’s something I’ve been thinking about for a VERY long time, but didn’t know how to bring it to life. It’s something that has definitely put a bit of sunshine in my heart.
I hope you like it.
You came into my life like a thunder storm.
Perfectly disastrous and ironically calming.
You entrapped me in your winds of sweet words
and rained passion down onto my soul
The fierceness of your thunder knocked against my weakened heart
and your lightning ignited a spark of love that was waiting to be set free.
like a thunder storm.
Your winds knocked me off my feet
Your thunder frightened me
Your lightning intrigued me
And your rain, it calmed me.
And ever since then
I’ve loved thunderstorms.